Sachs Clutches Products
Sachs Performance Clutch Kits
Sachs Coil over Suspensions for Performance
Sachs Performance Shock Absorber and Dampers
Sachs Release Forks
Sachs Dual Mass Flywheels
Sachs Dampers for Buses and Coaches
Sachs Agricultural Machinery
History of the company
On 1 August 1895. The Schweinfurter Präzisions-Kugellagerwerke Fichtel & Sachs general partnership (oHG) was founded in Schweinfurt. Inventors Ernst Sachs (1867-1932) and Karl Fichtel, produced ball bearings and bicycle hubs. In 1897 the company introduced its freewheel for bicycles, which became widely popular.
By 1911, the year Fichtel died, the company had approximately 7,000 employees. In 1923, the oHG partnership was changed to a stock corporation. The ball bearing division was sold to the SKF, a Swedish ball bearing corporation, with the condition that the products remain in Schweinfurt permanently.
From 1929 to 1996, F&S also produced motors, first for bicycles, and later for motorbikes, two-stroke snowmobiles, and small cars. (The Messerschmitt KR175 and Messerschmitt KR 200 used Sachs engines (1955 to 1964)). In 1929, F&S started the production of automobile components, mainly clutches, and shock absorbers. Ernst died in 1932, and, in 1936, his son Willy Sachs donated the Willy-Stadion sporting arena to the City of Schweinfurt.
In the 1960s and early 1980s, F&S purchased several traditional bike parts companies and brands like Hercules, Rabeneick, Huret, Maillard, and Sedis.
In early 1970, the company produced the revolutionary Wankel-engine-powered Hercules motorcycle.
1987, the German Mannesmann AG acquired the majority of F&S stock, and in 1997 F&S was renamed Mannesmann AG.